Intertidal Survey - Royal Victoria
About the event
Each survey lasts around two hours, and involves surveying a stretch of shoreline to identify and record marine species. We usually use the Shoresearch methodology in the form of walkover surveys.
The data you collect on these surveys is an invaluable help to our conservation activities and supports our efforts to secure legal protections like Marine Conservation Zones.
You don’t need any special knowledge or experience to take part in our intertidal surveys, but you must be either over 18 or over 16 and accompanied by a participating parent or guardian.
If your new to this, you will need to follow this link and download a intertidal survey registration form which can be found toward the bottom of the page. Please fill it in and send to firstname.lastname@example.org before the survey.
This event forms part of Secrets of the Solent, an exciting four-year marine project supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund. The project is celebrating the amazing wildlife and people that share the Solent's coast and waters, through art, cuisine, citizen science, and more.
WHAT TO BRING
- Warm, weatherproof clothing and a hat as many survey areas are exposed and can be windy.
- Sturdy (ideally waterproof) footwear with good ankle support.
- Sun protection and water if it's a sunny day.
- Washing up gloves if it's a cold day, for keeping your hands warm when rummaging in rockpools.
- A hand lens and guide to sea shore species if you have them.
- A camera or smartphone (switch on location services) for recording your finds.
- A drink and a snack.